Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Vegetable soup YUMMMMM

With the weather starting to feel "Fall-ish" FINALLY, I decided to make a nice, hearty vegetable soup. I have been absolutely OBSESSED with the Panera bread garden vegetable soup so that's what I was shooting for with this recipe! I planned on making enough for my mom and dad to have some and also to pack in my lunch atleast once this week.

Here's what you will need:
Vegetable broth (2 cartons=62 oz) *I prefer the low sodium, organic ones but that's just me!*
Canned diced tomatoes (1 can=14 oz)
Small pasta, I used mini farfelles (bow ties)
Assorted veggies:
-Carrots (a few whole or a bag of baby carrots, sliced into smaller pieces, 1/4-1/8 inch thick)
-Zucchini (skin on or off is your choice!)
-Onion (diced finely)
-Garlic
-Cabbage
-Green beans
Fresh thyme
Course ground pepper/salt (to taste)
Basil
Oregano
Olive oil

First, chop all the vegetables.


Next, pour a few tablespoons of olive oil onto the bottom of a large pot, on medium-low temperature. I let the vegetables cook in there, stirring every so often, for about 15 minutes. I added some seasonings at this point (salt, pepper, garlic powder).

After the veggies have softened up a bit, pour the vegetable broth into the pot. I used two entire cartons, which was the perfect amount of broth for a hearty soup like this.
Just added broth!


I added one cup of the bow tie pasta, toss in some thyme, put the lid on the pot, and let it cook on medium for about half an hour.

Soup after half an hour of cooking... YUM!

I tasted it at that point and opted to more seasoning (oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper). It was delicious! I would recommend it served with a dallop of pesto or some parmesan cheese (though that would make it not vegan).


Bon appetite!
And comment if you have any questions! I'd be happy to answer anything!

-S




No comments:

Post a Comment